Pages

Wednesday, July 28, 2010

In good terms

Dad was driving. When it was time for lunch, I suggested going to a stall opened by my friend's father.

Immediately, dad protested. I asked why.

It turned out that my friend's father was against his son's attendance to a product training event held by Melaleuca Malaysia. All I remembered was I mentioned the newly opened company to them, they were free to try out anything offered. It was arranged for him to attend, for him to gain an exposure. We never put them under any obligation to fork out money unless they made a decision to sign up for membership. That happened after I set off for Melbourne for my first semester of 2010. I was so shocked to hear that.

"Since that incident, I decided to boycott him," dad sighed.

Standing in my friend's father's shoes, perhaps he was afraid when things involves forking out money. People around us are making a living, if there's anything I need and the other person can offer, of course I'll be happy to be a customer. Otherwise, I don't mind taking the time to find out, and say thank you, I don't need the product/services at the moment.

There's always a more diplomatic way to express rejection, it doesn't need to end up straining a precious relationship. Sustaining relationships is an art, you can't run away from the fact that you're making a living from people around you.

No comments:

Post a Comment