Pages

Thursday, May 1, 2014

My take on i-Rocks ROCK series K10 tactile keyboard


First impressions
The K10 weights more than other keyboards in the market, but I don’t think it should be a major issue. Otherwise, just like an average keyboard, the K10 comes with a standard keyboard layout. Another notable feature is the font printed on each keycap that may not suit the taste of corporate office.



Usage
I certainly do not notice the difference between K10 and the rest until I started typing. It gave me an unprecedented tactile feedback only mechanical keyboards can achieve. It turned out that I-Rocks has pushed the limit of everyday membrane keyboards, so much so that an entirely new category of keyboard was born.



Typing on the K10 was generally a breeze. There force needed to actuate the keys is within reasonable limits. Nevertheless, a major gripe is the short Backspace key, which took me a while to get used to. I preferred a longer Backspace key so that I can immediately correct my mistake, saving the step of correctly locating its place on the keyboard.


I have the choice of turning off the Windows key by pressing and holding both left and right Windows key until the “Win Lock” light comes on. Accidentally pressing the Windows key and bringing up the Start Menu may not be a major issue in earlier version, but given that the key brings up the Metro interface in Windows 8, it is a welcomed feature indeed.


Besides that, I can turn off the I-Rocks LED on the Space Bar by pressing and holding its Print Screen button, should I not desire it.

Conclusion
Given that mechanical keyboards are beyond the reach of many due to their prohibitive price tag, the K10 is a highly recommended alternative for anyone wishing a more comfortable experience at RM 169. Since rubber domes (that harden over time) are not used underneath the keycaps, I can safely bet that the K10 can last a long time provided that it is put under proper care.


*product photos courtesy of i-Rocks

No comments:

Post a Comment