Pages

Saturday, November 14, 2015

Smart toys from Sphero

Disclaimer: This is not a paid review. I am writing this out of my own discovery, and also because I think it's cool!

I was looking for some good morning materials before work, and logged onto RadioShack Malaysia website (link). Never would I know I stumbled upon some hidden gems!

image source: link

RadioShack is a chain store that caters for technology needs, where you can find cables, batteries, power banks, headphones and speakers. Apart from everyday products, DIY electronic kits are available from them to try at your own too.

If you frequent shopping centres around Klang Valley, I guess you must have seen one of RadioShack Malaysia store. There's one in Berjaya Times Square. Other locations include Sunway Pyramid, The Curve and Mid Valley. The full list of locations can be found here.

The hidden gem I've found is Sphero.


I guess most of you are new to this company! The company has been around for a few years, coupling smart technology with seamless fun.

I was up for an eye opener when I watched the videos.

Sphero 2.0


Sphero 2.0 is a smart ball that I've never thought possible. Now that I'm living in the 21st century, smart items are the in thing now! Basically it's a remote controlled ball that connects to your smartphone via Bluetooth. The ball is controlled by an app. Or you can do it the other way round: Use the ball to control an app!

Watch the video below to see how cool it is! I was fascinated with remote controlled cars earlier, this is way more interesting!


Sphero Ollie


It looks like a two wheeled car, but where's the engine? If you show this to your friend, they'd think you come from the future!

You don't see the engine from the outside. In fact, the engine is housed inside the casing. The guys at Sphero definitely knows what they're doing with marvellous craftsmanship.

The Ollie can handle any terrain.



Sphero BB-8


You're going to see BB-8 in Star Wars: The Force Awakens. The robots seen in Star Wars has always lived on screen and our imaginations. Thanks to advancements in knowledge and technology, the team at Sphero has brought our imaginations to life!

The movie is going to be out on Christmas, and here's your chance to have fun with it now! I feel like I'm in the future now. It works exactly the same way as Sphero 2.0, with the addition of a magnet that holds its head.

When I wrote this, this toy is so popular that it has run out of stock at RadioShack Malaysia!





One final question: There's no charging port for the toys, so how do I charge my Spheros? All toys use inductive charging (go and nerd on physics now!). Just place the toys on a charging base, and let science do the job for you :)

That's all and thanks for reading!

Before I forget, you are not limited to controlling Sphero from your smartphone. For the more adventurous, you can program your Sphero to work in other ways, or dismantle the toy and made it into new stuff.

If you'd like to read more, Engadget has news coverage about Sphero (link). You can check out their official website at


Credits:
** product images taken from RadioShack Malaysia

No comments:

Post a Comment